Friday, December 10, 2010

TURN AROUND TIP #3 (Part 1): Stress

Having anxiety myself, I have a pretty big knowledge base of what can help in this situation.  I've got so much stuff on this subject, that I actually have to put it into two parts.  (That and it's three o'clock in the morning.)

Oh, and a little side note, if you haven't read my "Introducing Turn Around Tips" entry, I'll give you the basic info:  These are just a few things I've either learned from my own experience, a counselor or a book.  I originally named them "Counter Acting Tips," but that didn't sound right.  "Turn Around Tips" sounded cooler8D  They are meant to "undo" or "counter" any suicidal thoughts and help you "turn around" and head down the path of life rather than death.  Like I've mentioned many times before, no one on here's a professional and please do not take this as professional advice.  (I feel like some sort of work-out video or infomercial for vitamins!)


THOUGHT: "I can't handle this stress!" "I just can't get away from this stress," "I'll never be able to live like this!"

TURN AROUND BY:

1. Getting rid of the thing that stresses you out.  Well, this is kind of a big duh, but it's what all the counselors I've ever had try to do.  Now, identifying what stresses you out and how to make it go away is easier said than done.
Lots of times (like in my case) it's a relationship.  If you can't get help from a counselor or improve this relationship, then really, this tip isn't going to do you any good.  Now, if it is school or the amount of responsibilities you have, that is a bit easier to do something about.
Taking too many credits?  Take less next term.
Having trouble getting your assignments done?  Figure out a plan to organize your coursework and plan ahead for time to do it and stick to that plan RELIGIOUSLY!  Most of the time (with me, anyways) you get into bad study habits and it's harder than you think to change those habits.
As for work, is there a problem or a conflict?  Do what you need to do to get it resolved, even if it causes more stress initially, it will be well worth it in the end.
How about tending to the needs of others?  Sometimes, we get these way too needy people in our lives who depend on us for EVERYTHING.  Don't totally abandon these people, but tell them to get some different friends, go to family members for support, etc.  Take small breaks from them, so you don't get overwhelmed.  Gently draw some boundries.  For example, your baby sister wants you to help her with everything from homework, to boys, to relationships with your parents.  Sit her down next time she asks for your help and tell her "I will help you with _______, _______ and _______, but you need to help yourself with ________, ________ and ________ or find someone else to help you.  I still love you, but I cannot handle this all on my own."  (And yes, I've been on both sides of this!!)

2. Take what my counselor calls "mini breaks."  Every day for five or ten minutes, do something for yourself that is relaxing.  I grab a cup of hot cocoa with chamomile tea or take a hot bath with bubbles and practice clearing my mind.

3. Breath.  I know it sounds stupid and cliche, but there's actually a science to it!  My counselor explained it to me, but I can't exactly remember.  Something about oxygen to the brain and oxygen to your muscles.  Do you notice that when you're really stressed your muscles tense up?  Mine tense up so bad that when I finally relax, my back and sometimes even my jaw are SUPER sore.  Why?  I'd been clenching those muscles for hours!  There's a bunch of different ways to breath that will help you.  Just Google it!  They key is breathing deeply enough so you get as much oxygen in as you can.  I'll post some links on this some other time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment respectfully.